So you are a software engineer, a writer, a blogger or simply put you sit too long in front of your computer? If that is not enough you pride on the continuous work you can do on the computer without taking any breaks? You are prone to dry eyes.
Check out for these symptoms which is very unique to our modern population of computer lovers :
1. feeling dry, itching and burning of eyes.
2. fatigue and redness of eyes.
3. the eyes hurt so much you can’t keep your eyes open.
4. tears and reduction of vision.
What are dry eyes?
Dry eye is a condition where the ducts within the eyelids that produce tears, dry up. Tears are essential for the proper functioning of the eyes, because they provide lubrication for the eyelids to glide over the eye ball and help to keep it moist. This condition can lead to lower resolution of vision and in some cases can cause severe damage to the eye ball itself, not to mention the added risks of performing daily activities with bad eyesight.
Common causes of dry eyes :1.Our eyes are not meant to see pixilated images, so a constant exposure to them can harm your eyes .
2. Another factor is your all-round health : if you are diabetic, hypertensive, hypo and hyperthyroidism or are on antipsychotic drugs.
3. Habits like smoking, drinking, inadequate sleep .
Treatment options :If you are diagnosed with dry eyes, your ophthalmologist will decide on what type of treatment you might need to better the condition. Depending on the severity of the condition, you will be given a choice between medical management techniques and surgical procedures.
Here are a few remedies your doctor may prescribe:
1. Artificial tear substitutes: Your doctor will prescribe these drops in order to relieve your eyes of strain and help in better production of tears. Ideally you should use the drops regularly. In cases you have severe dry eyes you could use the drops once every hour. You could use the drops 4-6 times a day in moderate cases. Make sure you buy preservative free drops as they are known to cause toxicity within the eyes.
2. Anti-inflammatory agents: Since artificial tears do not stop inflammation caused within the eye due to dry eyes, your doctor will prescribe you some anti inflammatory drops to reduce the swelling in the eye.
Surgical management : if your eyes are beyond repair this will become mandatory. But here is me hoping you will change y our lifestyle before that.
Tips to prevent dry eyes:
1. Take regular breaks while working on the computer
2. Maintain a good posture when reading, looking at the computer screen.
3. Use rewetting drops at the end of the day.
4. Avoid too low temperatures , turn that AC to a little bit normal temperatures.
5. Avoid direct air blast to eyes.
6. Avoid direct sunlight. Use dark glasses.
7. Avoid pollution if possible.
8. Get regular eye check up.
9. If dry eyes persist get a complete health check up, to check for any other disease conditions.
Dry eyes can be easily prevented, a good tip would be to use lubricating drops about half an hour before you leave office. This will give relief to your eye and restore vision at the end of the day.