Wednesday, May 15, 2013


The  first   time 

I  had  just  decided  to  be  a  writer.
I  told  my  mother  about  the  great  ambition  that  I   had  just  caught  like  an  epiphany  or  maybe  the  flue!  I  was  just  short  of  telling  her   that  it  had  hit  me  like  a thunderbolt   from  the  heavens!
But  the  real  secret  is  that,  indeed  God  spoke  to  me  in  his  thunderous  voice, “Become  a  writer ,  immediately.”
My  mother  who  is  a  wise  woman,  always  has  been,  told me, “Read  a  good  book,  first.” She   gave   me  Leo Tolstoy’s   ‘War  and  Peace.’
Have   you   read   the  book?  Seen  it?  it  weighs  1  kilo.  And  to   my  head  flying  in  the  clouds  and  making  castles,  and   my   slender  wrist   be  a  judge  it  weighed  10  kilos   and   some  grams   excluding  the  dust  it  was  layered  with.  After   reading  the  first  paragraph  or  so  I  decided  I  was  busy  right  then. 
Now,  everyone  knows  how  busy  a  teen  is!
I  had  a  lot  of  things  to do  like  sleeping,  avoiding   school,  criticizing  teachers,  going  out  with  friends, movies, picnics, clubs,  shopping,  taking  driving  lessons ……most  of  all  looking  at  myself  in the  mirror  with  the   utmost  admiration  just  like  dogs  and   sparrows    do….and   then  there  was  sleeping  again!
And  then  to  add  to  this  list  of  duties  I  had  my  hormones  raging   inside  me,  kicking  me  around  like  a  football  making  me   think  of  dirty  things   and   forcing   me   to   look  at  boys! 

Then, there   was   Mills  and  Boons! God!  How   absolutely  enchanting  those   books   were?  They  can  take  your  mind  away  from  everything :  God,  country,  school,  family!  And  with  the  kind  of  friends  I  had   who  would   willingly  oblige  each  other  by   highlighting   the  steamy  parts  before  passing  them  on,   there  was  no  way  I   any  had  time  to  do  any   Leo Tolstoy!
I  laid  my  head  on  Leo  Tolstoy  war  and  peace  and  went  off  to  sleep.  It  was  uncomfortable  what  with  my  neck  stretched  ten  stories  high!  But  everyone   knows   how  the  young  can   sleep,  even  on  a  school  desk  right  in  the  center  of  an  ongoing    class   of  a  tyrant  teacher,  without  much  suffering! It  was   a   dreamy  sleep  for  a  full  three  hours. 
 I  was   eighteen  back  then.
But  I  was   sure  Leo   darling  Tolstoy   must  have  felt   good  that  I  slept  on him ! The  least   he  could  have  done  was  get  his  words   into  my  head  through  osmosis  or  whatever  better   way  he  knew!  But  he  didn’t !  Back  in  those  days   there  was  no  blue  tooth  and  it’s  generosity  or   maybe   he  and  me  would  have  succeeded  in  transferring  data !
After  the  sleep  I  didn’t  have  a  sprain  or  anything  like  I  would  have  if  I  slept  on  even  a   hundred  page  book  today!  But   the   foundation  was  laid.  I  just  had  to  build  upon  it.
I  had  to  manage   this    greatness  that  was  just  thrust  upon  my   shoulders : writing.
I  told  myself  I  was  good  in  English.  Well  I  knew  more  cuss  words  than all  the  Hollywood   action  hero’s   put  together!  And  then  even  the  Convent  school  I  went  to   was  forcing   everyone  to  speak  in  English  or  else   pay  up  fines.  So  I  would  be  fine.  I  told  myself.
 
I  picked  up  a  pen.  I  had  a  fetish  for  ink  pens  in  those  days.  So  I  picked  up  the  best  one  I  had.  Filled  it  with  blue  ink.  The  suction  that  this  particular  pen  used   was   acting    stubborn.  It   just  wouldn’t   fill   to  the  brim  and  I  couldn’t,  wouldn’t  start  such  a  pious   journey  half  armed!   I  pinched  the   rubber  suction  it  till  my  finger  tips  went  red  to  black.  I  tried   with  the   inkbottle  inclined.  And  then   a  little  more  incline . The  pen  was  just  sucking  fine  when  the  bottle  decided  to  spill  itself  on  me!  while  I   was   not  looking!   Stupid   bottle!
I  looked  at  myself  and  with  the  yellow  and  green  flowers   printed   on   my  dress   and  the  blue  ink  all  over  it   I  looked  like  a   peacock  waiting  for  the    rains!
Anyway  I  was  not  going  to  be  dithered   by  something  so  trivial. There   was  a  world  out  there  waiting  for  me  to  tell   them  stories  and   secrets.  Stories  that   would  otherwise   had   been  just   gossip  and   result  in nothing  more  than   hair  pulling  and  fist   thumping   street  brawls!
I  changed   my   dress  and   the  pen.  This  time  I  stole  my  father’s  parker  from  his  pocket.
Parker   was  and  is  supposed   to  be  a  great  company  and  someone  on  a  great   journey  needed   a   great   pal  to  keep  company.
And  I  found  myself  a  diary. 
A  thick  black   leather  bound  diary.  Since  it  didn’t   have  my  initials  on  it,  and   I  was  anyway   carving  my  name  on  school  desks,  walls,  trees,  pavements   and  anything  that   was   solid,  clean   and   mute,  I  carved   my  name  on   its  black   face   with  a   fork.  I  could  have  used  a  nail  or  a  knife  but  I  believed  a  fork  would  create  a  better  design!
 Well,  if   you  ask  me  today  I  must  have  defaced  the  diary   but   back  then   my  name  on  it  was  as   important  to  me   as   it  is    for     lovers  to  publicize  to  the  world   that  they   are   in   love   and  secretly  masturbating  in their  bathrooms!
Anyway   who  doesn’t   love  their  name  expect  Philosophers  and  those  named  Dick  or  other  such  body  parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment