Monday, September 30, 2013

Ban social media

                                                            

In  the   last  18  days  I  have  not  written  a  word…not  a  single  post. I  am  lazy  and  if  there  was  some  award  for  it  I  will  get  it, no  doubts  there  but  I  was  not  lazy  these  18  days…I  was  pissed  by  the  sexual  harassment  case  we  were  fighting. Well, needless  to  say  we  lost. My   friend  or  call  her  whatever,  got  her  job  terminated   suddenly  and  the  VP  who  was  responsible  is  much  happy.  He  actually  threw  a  party.
So  I  was  pissed  and  decided  that  since  nothing  works  anyways….writing, painting, singing, fighting…or  whatever  so  why  should  I  waste  my  time  doing  all  this….blogging  being  one  of  them. Well ,  so  I  was  spending  whatever  free  time  watching  crime  serials  on   TV…and  no,  not  news…that  is  another  shitty  thing.  You  watch  news  then  you  are  sure  nothing   good  is  ever  going  to  happen.
Then  I  was  surfing  channels  and  a  politician  turned  up  and  he  says  what?
The  political  genius  declares  that  the  riots  in  a  certain  part  of  India (UP  for  those  who  know  India)  was  due  to  this  thing  called   Social  media…facebook, twitter, blogging…etc…and  so  they   should   be  controlled, monitored, censored,  banned…whatever  synonym   you   know   add   it   here.
No, I  am  not  panicking  on  what  one  politician  said. But  I  worry. Why?
Just  a  few  months  back  information  and  Broadcasting  ministry  of  India  had  banned   and  blocked  many  websites  that  were  criticizing  the  Indian  government….they  remain  blocked  till  date.  It  is  still  doing  so  but  one  at  a  time  so  that  no  red  flags  are  raised.  Some  of  the  cartoonists  and  writers  had  to  go  to  jail  on  sedition  charges. By  the  way  these  sedition  charges  were  penned  200  years  ago  by  the  British  raj  so  that  they  could  throw  the  Indian  freedom  fighters  in  jail. This  same  200 years  old  sedition  charges  were  applied  to  the  said  cartoonist  and  writer! Well,  like  I  always  say  India  is  a  peculiar  country  full  of  political  geniuses. So  every time  any  politicians   from  the  government  says  that  “social  media  should  be  banned.” I  worry.
Here  is  a  list  of  banned  websites  in  India :

India  has  suffered  emergency  in  1975  when  all  rights  were  suspended.  So  yes,  I worry.  
If  a  common  man  says  ban  the  social  media…I don’t  give  a  shit  but  if  an  elected  representative   says  it,  yes  I  worry. … and  more  so  because  some  or  the  other   elected  members   have  been  saying  it  every  now  and  then….yes, I  worry  because  he/ she  has  to  power  to  act  upon  what  he/she  said.
Now,  if  someone  does  not  want  to  use  social  media  that’s  his / her  issue..like  for  example  me  in  the  last  18  days  but  telling  me  or  anyone  else  that  I  should  not  use  social  media  is  not  acceptable…so  I  am  posting  this   and  will  keep  posting  even  if  I  don’t  want  to….and  after  posting  this  I  will  spend  a little  time   on  facebook  and  twitter  from  now  on.  I  might  sound  childish…but  for  the  time  being  this  seems  the  best  way  to  exercise  my  democratic  rights….even  if  it  means  I  share  nothing  but   the  photograph  of  some  random   toddler!
Like  I  said  there  were  riots  in  some  remote  village  of  Utter  Pradesh (one of  the  most  backward)  states  of  India. Everyone  knows  it  was  the   politicians  who   had  incited  the  violence….election  are  in  2014  and  Indian  politicians  will  and  can   do  anything  to  please  their  vote banks .  People  died  and  homes  were  burnt  down  and  well  we  Indians  are  all  sad  and  angry  and  suffering  from   a  constipated  courage    as  always…so   long  story  short…many  politicians  came  on  TV  and  said :
 “The  riots  were  because  of  social  media.”
A  few  questions  for  these  genius  politicians:
 Half  my  country  is  naked, hungry  and  uneducated.  And  UP  more  so,  being  one  of  the  most  backward   states.  Now   to  use  social  media  you  need  a  computer   and  then  have  to  know  how  to  use  it  and  then  you  need  a  internet  connection.  Illiteracy, poverty   and  unemployment   is  so  high  in  UP  that   their  people  are   common  part  of   jokes  and  derision , I   wonder  how   they  used  a  computer?   And  even  if  someone  posted  something  how  could  anyone  read  when   they  don’t  know  what  they  are  reading?  And  then  there    might  be  no  internet  connection?  And  then  People  don’t  even  know  how  to  put  their  signature  illiteracy  is  that  high  in  some  villages … So,  how  are  they  going  to  understand  social  media?….even  me  who  keeps  breaking  my  head  against  my   laptop  don’t  understand   most   of   it!  But  anyways  let  us  suppose  everyone  in  India   is  educated  and  an  expert  in  social  media…. this  is  how  everything  works:
1.  there  are  riots…. because  of  social  media.
2.  there  is  poverty…. because  of  social  media.
3.  there  is  corruption…. because  of  social  media.
4. there  is  lawlessness… because  of  social  media.
5.  there  is  hunger… because  of  social  media.
6. there  is  nepotism … because  of  social  media.
7.  there  are  rapes….because  of  social  media.
8. there  is  terrorism ….because  of  social  media.
9. the  roads  are  bad, government  offices  don’t  work  ….the  list  can  go  on  and  on…..and  everyone  is  frustrated  because  of  social  media.
To  sum  it  up  any  problem  in  India  is  because  of  social  media!
Well, why  does  the  government  look  at  it  this  way:
We  Indians  will  not  clean  our   house  come  what  may   so   it  is  better  we  lock  it  up .  Everyone  is  frustrated  and   the   Government  is   not  interested  in  our   complaints…..if  there  is  no  social  media   no   one  will  have  a   facebook,  twitter, G+, Glipho  to  go  to  and  complain  to  anyone  and  everyone  who  gives  us  half  an  ear.  So,  ban  social  media  and   that   way  no  one  knows  we  are  dirty!  
And  this  is  what  I  believe  social  media is:  It  is  the   only   embodiment  of   what  is  left  of   an  ideal  democracy :  by  the  people,  for  the  people  and  of  the  people,  whereas  democracy  in  reality  has  become:   by  the  thugs,  for  the  thugs   and  of  the  thugs.
Social  media  has  made  each  one  of  us  into  journalists…the   one  force  that  needs  to  be  clean  for  society  to  have  any  dignity  and  justice.
So,  I  will  write  even  if  someone  doesn’t  like  it…and  hope  you  will  too…and  keep  sharing  that  toddler  photograph! Ask  the  Chinese  or  the  Iranians  or  those  under  the  rule  of  Taliban….well,  while  my  India  struggles  to   become  a  better   country   there  will  always  be  forces  that  want  it  to  go  worse. 
About  Social  media  like  they  say  about  everything   worthy, “You  don’t  know  what  you  got  till  it’s  gone.”
So  tomorrow  if  you  see  my  blog  blocked  you  know  who  did  it  and  why?

4 comments:

  1. Damn, I missed this post!! Shame on them!!! Like I said on my previous blog post, this is why I planned to change my name on all my social media and blogs! I don't even think I can write safely if everyone knows who this little demon is behind all the fiery posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jazz. I will need some serious time getting used to your new name. but tell you what now you sound Jazzy and fiery. :)

      Delete