Saturday, May 25, 2013

A lesson learnt


A   lesson   learnt
A  rejection  letter  in  hand  I  did  what most  of  us  do.
I  printed  a  few  copies  of  my  manuscript  and  distributed  it  to  my friends. My mistake  I  had  forgotten  that   this  particular   story  was  as   collected   by  my   gossip  mongering.
And  I  paid  heavily!      
My   best  friend  Dede  who  without   her  knowledge  or  approval  was  the  distorted  nearly  fallen  heroine  of  my  manuscript   came  to  my  home   in  the  middle  of  the  night  demanding  why  I  was  writing   such  things  about  her  in  a book.
“Why  did  you  make  me  sound  like   a  slut?”
I  told   her  that  was  not  the  case.  She  was   my  best  friend, after  all.
“Then  why  did  you  show  me  naked  and  having  sex?” she  had  the copy  of  the  manuscript  in her  hand.
“That’s not  you.” I  stuttered.
“Don’t  lie.” she  yelled.  Eyes  red,  fists  punching  the  air  much  closer  to  my  face  than  I  ever  dreamed, “You  have  written  all  these  things   about   sunny,  pinky,  Ronnie…….what  are you  trying  to  do?  Tell  the entire  world  about my  sex  life?  The  entire  school  is  already  talking  as  it  is. How  dare  you?”
I  was  screwed  royally.
 “And  who  gave  you the  right  to  talk  about  my  divorced  parents  alcohol  addiction?” she  demanded. 
“I  wouldn’t  do  that  to  you.  I  swear.” I  protested.
“So  who  would  you  do  it  to? ” she  demanded.
“Why  would   I do  it?” I  defended  my  fake  innocence.
“Because  you   are   a  gossipmonger!  Because   you  want  to  be  a  writer?”  she  was  in  tears. “Even   Sicko. Rita   has  some  integrity!”
Sicko.  Rita  being  the  worst  gossipmonger  and   having  another  of  such  great  ambitions : to  become  a  press  reporter!
I  wished  I  could  patch  up  her  broken  hearts  while  not  giving  up  my  passion  of  listening  to  stories  and  writing  them  down,  I  said, “this  is  not  you  in  the  book  it  is….” I  mentioned  someone   else.
“Really!” that  was  one  sarcastic ‘Really.’  That  felt  like  a  warning.
She  stepped  out  of  the  porch  she  was  standing  on  shaking  and  trembling  in  anger  and  raining  tears  and   called  out  to  Sunny, Pinky,  Ronnie, …almost  the   entire  school  waiting  in  the  darkness,   beyond  the  hedge  of  my home!
The   entire  cast  of  my  manuscript  materialized  on  the   porch!
They  didn’t  have  banners  nor  did  they  have  my  effigy  to  burn  but  the  rest  of  the  dramatics   involved  in  a  protest  were  all  there!
They  told  me  I  gossiped  like  a  bitch  while  they  trusted  in  me  with  their  deepest  secrets! They  called  me  perverted  and  other  such  unprintable  names!
For  what? So you  can  become  a  writer?
They  told  me  how  I  broke  their  trust  in  the  entire  humanity!
 God,  I  wondered  if  I  was  finished! 
“Don’t  worry  the  agent  is  anyway  refusing  to  represent  me.” I   put  up  my  failure  as  a  shield.
“You  deserve  that.” They  said  and  walked  away.
I  lost  a lot of  friends  and  the  damn  agent  was  also  not  helping!
I  noted  down  a  few  pointers  from  this   incident:
1.  I  have  to  get  more  juice   for  my   stories,  for  my  novel, to  convince  the  agent  who  was   obviously  not  satisfied  with  just  this  much.   
2. Since  I  was  writing  to  make  the  world  a better  place which  is  the  basic  intention  of  all  artists  writers  included,  it  was  Ok  to  trample  a  few  people  on the  way  for  the  greater  good.
3. I  should  do  this  gossip  collection  surreptitiously and  not  like  Mr. Assange who  is  spending  half  the  time  being  dragged  to  some  court. I  should  do  it  like  James  Bond! A  spy! And  keep  writing  and  writing  till  the  world  ends  or  me  ends  whichever  is  first.
4. I  should  be  less  sentimental  about  friends  knocking  at  my  door  and  demanding  this  and  that  explanation.  Spreading  secrets  in the  form  of  the  written  word   is  my  passion  and  I  should  do  it  ruthlessly  and  not  apologetically.
5. I  had  to  get  my  hooks  into  some  Publisher  or  agent  and  under  no  circumstances  get  emotional  about   rejection  letters. I  told  myself, ‘suffer  like  a  man  and  not  like  a  baby.’
6.This  was  just   the  beginning :  my  first   rejection. And  after  the  suffering  I  was  going  to  analyze  it  like  a  scientist  and  make  a  success  of  it.
7. And  most  importantly :  ‘Aim  for  the  Nobel  prize.’ I  told  myself, ‘you  will  get  the  booker  at  least  or  something  else  they  are  giving  away.’ 
But  first  I  had  to  suffer   the  rejection   letter  before  I  could   analyze   it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment