Sunday, May 26, 2013

What is the rejection letter?


What   is   the   rejection  letter?

This  is  an  optimistic  point  of  view.
When  any  writer  starts   writing  they  usually  do  it  for   the  pure  fun  of  it. you  will  hope  to  and  want  to  put  something  great  out  there.  Make  a  place under  the  sun.
And  then,  sometimes  it  takes  a  few  days  or  weeks  or maybe a  year  or  sometimes  it  is  as   quick  as   lightning : you  get  greedy. If  you  are  not  greedy  as  yet  don’t  worry  you  will  get  greedy.  And  if  you  are  greedy  and  don’t  want  to  tell  me,  no problem :  all  of  us  artists  writers,  painters,  musicians  across  the  world  want   the  same  two  things : Fame.  Money.
  You  want the  six  figure  signing  amount  and  the  kind  of   fame   that  Harry  porter  has  for yourself  and  your  book   and  all  the  prizes  they are  giving  away  right  from  the  America  to  the  Arctic  circle…..well,  most  of  us  shy  away  from  wanting  the  Nobel   because  it’s  even  embarrassing  to  think  to  be   totally  blinded  by  one’s  own  greed  but  you  will  want  all  the  applause   the  world   can   deliver  without   losing  its  hands!  Trust  me. 
And   you  want  the  paparazzi   everywhere  except  in  your  bathroom!   
But   like  every  diamond  needs  polishing  before  it  sells  for  billions  of  dollars : you  too  will   need   polishing. With  or  without  your  approval  or appreciation!
The  world  as  a  whole  and  literary  agents  in  particular  have  taken  up  polishing  of  writers  as  a  social  work!
 Remember  the  line  we  see  in  their  profiles, on  websites,  directories  and  such  other  places:  We  do  not   take  a  cent  to  read  your  work! That’s  the  invitation.
I  started   getting   my  polishing  some  17  years  back.  
Getting  polished  is  a  painful  procedure.  Have  you  felt  an  emery  paper? Yeah,  how  will  it  fell  if  someone   keeps  scrubbing your  skin  with  it?   Yeah  that’s  how  polishing  your  work  feels  to  the  heart  and  ego.
The  most   famous  words  in  polishing/ agenting/ publishing :
I  will  pass.
No.
Not  possible.
Sorry, thanks  but  no.
Not  for  me.
Many  thanks  for  your  query.  We  are  not  the  right  agents.
 Doesn’t  it  sound  like  that  break  up  dialogue:  it’s  not  you ,  it’s  me.  

I  am  waiting  for  the  day  when  I  get  a  letter  that  mentions  this  clearly : It’s  not you ,  it’s  me.   

There  are  many  more  who  take  an  effort  and  write  250  words.  But  thanks  to  all  the  computer  technology   that  now  agents    only  have  to  click  a   time  or  2   to  send   their, ‘No.’ 

I  will  point  out  a    letter  here : it  shows  my  desperation  to  get  polished  into  a  world  class  diamond    and   the  agents  frustration!
I  sent  30  pages  of   manuscript  number  1.
She  wrote  back : No.

Then  I  sent  30  pages  of  manuscript  number  2. (after 2  years  of  number  1)
She  wrote  back : No.

Then,  30  pages  of  manuscript  number 3. (After  another  2  years)
She  wrote  back :  as  I  have  already  said  No  two  times  and  then she  takes  out  time  from  her  precious  life  and  goes  on to  mention  the  Titles  of  the  first   2  manuscripts  and  their  date   of  receiving  the  drafts  and  sending  rejections. I  did  get   the  message  that  it  is  a  NO  and  that   the  agent  is a  little  annoyed.

Then,  30  pages  of  manuscript  number   4:  after  another  2  years.
She  wrote  back : I  have  already  said  No  3  times  and  this  is  the  4 th  time  I am  saying  NO.  She  mentioned  all  the  previous  manuscripts, the  dates  of  all  letters! 
She  was  just  short  to  telling  me   “Don’t  send  your  diamonds  to  us  we  are  not  interested  in  them. God  damn you!”

She  didn’t  say  it  ,  I  didn’t  see  it.  When  you  love  something  too  much  you  are  immune  to   what  the   world  thinks  of   you. Same  was/ is  the  case  with  me. 

Anyway,  I  was  amazed.  She  was  keeping  notes. God!  At  least  someone  was  keeping  notes!  That’s  me  being  optimistic. So  I  told  myself   like  a  roadside  Romeo, “if  you  keep  proposing  someday  she  will  fall  in  love  with   me.”
So  till  the  day  she  gets  a  restraining  order  I  am  sending  her  notes!

Well,  for  all  those  sympathizing  with  the  agent,  think  of  my  love  and   heart  break   and  I  am  not   complaining!

Of  course  she  must  be  frustrated  by  me  not  giving  up  even  after   17  years  but  then  tell  me : do  you  know   anyone  in  this  world  who  is  not  frustrated? 

 And  here  I  am  just  trying  to  become  a   shiny  diamond! And  polishing  it  doesn’t   take  half  the  time  and  energy  as   getting  polished  takes.

So,  I  have  noticed   that  time  to   get  shining  like a  diamond  just  depends  on  your  work.  Sometimes  it  takes   a  few   rejections  and  sometimes  if  you  are  not  the  kind  to  give up   like  me  it  may  take  years!  But  have  faith   you  will   get  there : Fame  and  money  because  if  you  keep  walking  the  road  you  have  to  get  to  the  destination. Right?
The pessimistic  point  of  view  comes  next.

No comments:

Post a Comment