Thursday, May 23, 2013


What  happened  to  my shortcut   plot

I  was  18  when  I  decided  I  had  to  become  a  writer,  by hook  or  crook.
If  nerds  are  people  who   spent  their  time   inside  a  book  or   the  computer  reading  and  looking  at  God  knows  what,  then  anyone  who  has   an  ambition  to   write   those  books  should  be  called :  mother  of  all  nerds.  So  I  was   basically  that  and  street  dumb  and  had  no  experience  about  life.  I  used  to  read  books,  all  sorts  of  right  from  textbooks   to  big  literature . the  kind  of  literature  where  heroes  and  heroines   fought  for   their  freedom  and  that of  their  country’s. I  had  a  good   idea  of  how  they   fought,  died  and  won. I  of course   had  read  other  books  too: about  poverty,  step  fathers  and  step  mothers,  bad   mentors,  bad  weather,  bad  voyages..…wolves  and  bears  and  other  such  miseries  that  are  much  prevalent   and  how  the  orphan  hero/ heroine  fought  the  circumstances  and  got  the   kingdom  as  inheritance  or  at   least   was  still   hoping  to  till  the  last   page!  But  that  kind  of  heroics  didn’t  seem  to  be  of  any  use  to  me  as  I  was  already  as  free  and  comfortable  as   was  humanly  possible.  And  then  these  stories  had  been  told   and  retold  a  million  times!
I  was  not  going  to  be  cheep  and  rewrite  something  already  told  by  someone,  even  if  it  meant  to  rewrite  a  Bernard  Shaw   or  Shakespeare! God!
I  had  a  secret  ambition  to  get  the   Nobel  prize  someday.  So  I  had   to  be  original.   
I  needed  something  authentic,  the  Nobel  kind,  the  literature  kind  or  as  authentic  as  is  possible  without  plagiarizing  someone’s  brain  directly.
Like  I  said  I  was   the  mother  of  all  nerds  which  meant  I  didn’t  get  a  chance   to  do  drugs  nor   had  an  inclination  as  yet  to  roam  the  streets  half  naked.  And  most  of  all  I  had   as  much  sex  as  a  lonely  chimpanzee  in  a  zoo  can  dream  of.   
 
I  had  to  rely  heavily  on  what  others  were  doing.
So  I  collected  stories  from  wherever  humanly  possible. I  gossiped  and  gossiped.  And  then   put  it  down  in  my  own  words : in  my  diary.
The  synopsis  of  the   manuscript  as  I   penned  and  sent  to  literary  agents:  there  is  a  boy  and  a  girl. The  boy  and  the  girl  are  having  an  affair.  Then  the  friend  of  the  girl ‘the  vamp’  digs  her  hooks  into  the  boy. All  hell  breaks  loose.  The  entire  school  is  involved. The  friend  ‘ the  vamp’  is  thrown  out  of  school. The  manuscript  also  contains  many  saucy  details  like  the  girl’s  parents  are  alcoholics, the  boy’s  parents  are  having  an  extra  marital  affair…and  there   are  drug  addiction  issues. There   are  vivid  sex  details  between  the  girl and  the  boy  which  are  very  original  and  have  not  been  copied  from  anywhere.  The  last  line  is  to  tell  you  I  have  not  plagiarized  this  manuscript  or  the  sex  scenes   from  other  books.
 If  you  are  interested  to  represent  me  let  me  know.

I  got  a   one  page  letter  and  it  came  by  post.
I  was  anxious.  I  had  never   as  yet  failed  in  my  life  and  I  was  not  going  to  start  now!
It   was   a   rejection. God!  
I  was  dumbfounded.  Couldn’t  be  a  rejection .  I  read  it  again.  It  was  a  rejection. Shit!
How  dare  she,  the  bitch! I  was   absolutely  furious.
Today,  if  you  ask  me,  I  am  sure  the  agent  would  have  loved  to  send  a  telegram  or  come  down  personally  but  was   restrained  by  maybe  her  colleagues  or  the  police.
But  back  then  I  wondered : How  could  the  agent  write  me, ME !  a  rejection.
I  wanted  to  prove  her  wrong. I  was  not  interested   to  prove  myself  right  or  anything.
So  I  printed  a  few  copies  of  my  manuscript  and  distributed  it  to  my friends. My mistake  I  had  forgotten  that   this  particular   story  was  as   collected   by  my   gossip  mongering.
And  I  paid  heavily!      
But  it  is  good  that  I  never  told  anyone  about  my  ambition  to  get  the  Nobel  prize  till  date.

No comments:

Post a Comment