Thursday, May 16, 2013


How  to  find  a  juicy  story

Now,  with  Mr. Blue  Parker  and  the  diary  set  in  a   happy  place  all  I  needed  was  a  juicy  story.
Juicy  for  someone  like  me, just  out  of  high school,   meant  something  that  could  create  a  ripple  not  like  the  one  caused   by  a  stone  dropped  in  a  still  pond  but  the  kind  of  ‘punch  fest’   that  is  caused  by  bitchy  back-biting  fangs-digging   gossip  amongst  football  players  and   cheerleaders! 

In  those  days,  yapping  amongst  friends   about  promiscuity,  drugs  and   weight  of  rival   groups  had  the  same  effect  that   Tyson’s  ear  biting  or  a  computer   virus  or  a  president  caught  with   his  pants  down   has  on  the  modern  world! It  creates  a  sense  of  oneness,  makes  us  happy  and  we  applaud,  feeling   good at  least  someone  did  what  we  always  wanted  to  do!
I  wanted   that   kind  of   applause.

So,  me   taking  the  initiative  decided  that  since  I  did  not  have  enough  juice as  yet  to  make  a  novel,  a novel  being  300  pages  plus,  I  had  to  become  a  good   listener  and  absorb  as  much,  as   quickly  as   possible.
I  allotted   myself   a  two  month   deadline  for  the  same.

Two  months  of   information  download  from  mouths  to  ear?  Then  storing  it  in  my  brain  till  the  time  I   could  scribble    it   into   the  initial  drafts?  I   knew  that   was   tough.
Back  then  in  1987   there  was  no  Wikipedia  or  Goggle  to  make  my  life  easy. Even  Wiki leaks?  that  tangible,  substantial,  absolutely  delightful and  viral  secret   information  spreading   thing,  ridding on  which  Mr. Julian  Assange  has  become  such  a  great  man, full  time  in  hiding?  Came   much   later. Or  else  why  do  you  think  I  had  to  write  about  love,  sex, drugs  and  betrayal  amongst  normal  people  if  I  had  access  to   affairs  amongst  Presidents,  generals, drug  lords   and   movie  stars?  

 Although  poor  me  didn’t  have  those  kind  of  computers,  servers  and  brains,  I   had  the  whistle   blowers :  tons  of  them!
Normal  people  recruited  as  whistle  blowers   without  their  knowledge!   

 It  took  me  some  time   to  learn  how  to  shut  up  and  listen  to  the  whistling. Eventually  I   succeeded.
I  could   have  been  the  pure  unadulterated   listener.  The one  who  listens,  keeps  secrets  and  doesn’t  talk  much.  But     friends  and    acquaintances  who   fed  me  stories,  soon  felt   my  lack  of  participation.  They  felt  the  one  sided   flow  of  trust  and   affection.  They  were   offended  that  I  was  not  gossiping  and  just  listening  to  gossip  as  if  I  was  somehow  morally  superior  to  them!  Now   who   wants   to   gossip   with   priests   and   the  police?   

So,  I  was  forced  to  participate,  forced  to  gossip. Trust  me  I  would  have  never  done  it   if  not  under  duress  and  I  did  it  just  so  that  the  stories  would  keep   flowing   and  spill  into  my  diary.

The  thing  about  gossip  is  it  has  to continuously   spread  far  and  wide  to  be  creative  and  alive   and  pouring!
  A  river  cannot  stop! If   it   does :  The  heart  and   head  of   the   writer  is  in  the  fear  of  going   stagnant   at  that   very  moment! 

My  plan :  you  tell  me  your  story,  I  will  definitely  tell  you  some  story. Some   story  definitely  didn’t   mean  my  story! But  if  anyone  misinterpreted  my  dedication?  Not  my  fault.
Well,  friends  gossiped,  I  listened.  Then  I  went  to  the  rival  group,  they  gossiped,  I  listened. Very  soon,  knowing  that  I  cannot  be  like  a  priest   listening  to  a  confession,   I  began   transferring   data  from  one  end  of  the  burning  string  to  the  other.  The  more  I  transferred  the   more  juicy  my  diary  became.

Words   began  to   pour  like  a   dam   breaking.

My  whistle  blowers  were   telling  me  almost  everything about  themselves  and  others  too:

Who  is  masturbating?  how   many  times?  Where  and  when?

Whose  mother  father  were  reading  Kamasutra  but  incapable  of  doing  it?

Who  is  the  school  boy  and  girl  slut?  

When  exactly  was   the  male  principal  kissing  the  male  sweeper  in  the  chemistry  lab?

Who   is  an  expert  in  shop  lifting? If  she/ he  was  taking  tuitions?

Who? Where?  And   when   marijuana  was  available?

Who  doesn’t  wear  underwear?  

Who  is  writing  love  notes  on  the  toilet  wall?

Right  from  eating  uncooked  meat  to  planting  roses  on  murdered  squirrels  to  becoming  peeping  toms  for  a  little  pocket  money  I  was  privy   to  information  that  would  soon  make   the   world   a   better  place.

Of  course  that’s  what  writers  do: they  write  to  make  the  world   a   better   place!    

My  whistle  blowers  were  whistling  on  the  top  of  their  lungs  and  I  was   becoming  a  writer  at  such  great  speed!  

But  God  had  to  rain  on  my  party!

No comments:

Post a Comment