Monday, October 14, 2013

I was once a stethoscope : a short fiction


                                                      
I  was  once  a  stethoscope.

 …just  a  snaky  rubber  thing   picking  up  sounds  for  the  doctor’s  ear. But then  I  know how  to  listen  to  others  too..random  sounds  and  noises. Then  one   fine  day  when  everything  was  going  on  just  fine  I  heard   a  little  one,  a 5  year  old  girl, she  had  been  ill  since  long  and   refusing  to  eat  anything.   Fever  they  said 106 Fahrenheit. Malaria.  I  heard  the  doctor  sigh.  The mother  cried  a  little.  Then   I  heard  the  parents  “ too  poor   to  afford   a  doctor  but  had  prayed  to   God  everyday.”  The  doctor  picked  me  up  and  laid  my  head  on  the  little  one’s  chest.  When  my   head  touched   the   chest  I   could  feel   the  heat  and  just  then  her  ribs  pushed  against  me   like  metal  rods. Then  I  heard   her  heart.  It  ticked  fast,  faster, fastest   and   just  then  as  if  she  didn’t  want  me  anymore  her  heart  suddenly   slowed….tick……….tick……..  On  that  day  I  knew  I  was  not  just  a  snaky  rubber  thing  but  something  that  connected  two  hearts  on  either  side  of  it.. …one   the  dying  heart  of  a  child  and  one  the  desperate  heart  of  the  doctor.  As  one  lost  its  sound  the  other  picked  on  thudding   against  me  in   fear, desperation  and  helplessness.   

3 comments:

  1. Lovely in a sorrowful way. My heart feels so heavy right now. That picture is jolting and immediately got my attention.

    ReplyDelete