One of the major issue that bothers almost all of us is weight gain, more so amongst women. Though, I sincerely believe the bigger issue should be how to be healthy and not how to be thin like Angelina Jolie! Obesity is dangerous, we all know it…but a little weight gain should not be much cause to worry. We will deal with all causes of weight gain but first we will talk about food and overeating.
All of us know diet full of fried foods, giant portions of food ingested at a time, too frequent meals and snacks, desserts, alcohol, soft drinks are major causes of weight gain. Well, the problem is these are the ones that make us salivate the most…talk about a burger, a pizza, a glass of Pepsi…it is easy to eat anywhere, anytime and it tastes like heaven! The more deep fried it is and the more cheese it has the better it tastes. And alcohol?…just someone saying there is a party somewhere or a bar is serving free drinks we are already high…..happy like idiots!
Well, we should not stop ourselves from eating/ drinking these but we should definitely ration it!
Important point : there are many food companies that advertise fat free foods…fat free foods usually contain high amount of sugar so check before you eat fat free food!
You will notice that people who put on weight other than ingesting the above food and drinks, have certain eating habits:
1. They eat too fast and pop in big morsels of food.
2. They eat too much especially left over’s.
3. They try to avoid eating in public.
4. They are not disciplined in their eating.
5. They keep searching for food in cupboards or refrigerators.
6. They eat at night
7. They keep popping something in their mouth while watching TV or working with the computer.
8. they watch too much food channels.
1. Eat small morsels and chew it enough. Your jaw will hurt or you will get bored sooner than later. There is no need to fill your mouth with food.. ..it looks bad and you might choke someday…and neither do you need to fill your plate with food like a hill….nobody is going to eat away your share or steal it from you. If possible eat in smaller plates …..that helps.
2. Avoid left over’s : this is one of the easiest way of putting weight. You have cooked or ordered too much of food… if you store it in your fridge it will not taste as good the next day…so what do you do? “One morsel is not going to kill me” you say and stuff it into your stomach. Today you will stuff one morsel tomorrow 2 and thus if you go on you will soon be eating for 2 people!...and one day eating for 2 people will become normal and if you don’t you will feel hungry. So please avoid left over’s. Give it away , share it with someone …it will not only help you to be healthy but will make you feel good. Sharing good things is good for your conscience too and will get you more friends!
4.Discipline your eating : eat at fixed times. Breakfast, lunch, a snack late afternoon and a dinner. Keep to the time. You don’t have to be so rigorous that you will not even talk to someone during the time but try to keep to it. Odd timings are a huge cause of overeating. I will give you an example :
“I had a meeting from 1 PM to 3 PM so I couldn’t eat till 4PM. So, I am sooooo hungry.”
“So, why didn’t you eat before the meeting?”
“Because I will sleep through it.”
“ Who is asking you to eat so much that it will drain all your blood from your brain to your stomach?”
Eat light during such times but eat. Don’t go too hungry and then stuff yourself like a pig!
5.And please don’t open the fridge again and again hoping something will materialize. …believe me something will materialize! When the first time you open the fridge you will see left over’s from last night, raw vegetables, bread and cheese…..none of them interesting enough . But keep opening the fridge again and again even the raw vegetables will begin to look interesting…if nothing else you will eat a raw tomato or maybe cook something out of it!
6. Do not eat at night. You cannot sleep for a variety of reasons and suddenly you realize that there is something interesting in the fridge or the cupboards and ? you can always do something else other than eating…like say reading or counting sheep or zombies! the metabolic rate at night is very low so anything you eat will not be used and rather be converted into fat and stored….you might as well pick up the cheese and put it into your thighs directly!
7.Do not eat while watching TV : OK, most of us love to keep popping something into our mouths while watching TV or even working on the computer…avoid it…. because this is one eating that is very difficult to control. You are seeing a movie, for god sake so see the movie…why do you have to chew? And this is what happens…you get a snack…say popcorn or peanuts or French fries and the movie is much absorbing….your hand and mouth will almost work unconsciously, you will not even realize when you have eaten the plate empty..…and after that with your eyes fixed to the TV you will blindly let your fingers search in the bowl or packet for something more….think it this way : if it were a ten minute movie fine, but what will happen if you are watching Ben- hur!
8. Do not watch too much of food channels : images let it be photos or TV will only increase your interest in food and not necessarily cooking. Well, if you are not into cooking you will get into it and irrespective of what your cake turns out to be you will have to eat it or stuff it down the throat of friends and family! Well, once in a while is fine but not always…and images of food will only increase your appetite…you might not get to eat the cake but there is always something at home or office to eat! See some fox crime or news or national geography or MTV.
So, Just be within limits and live healthy and happy.
Your well wisher ,Dr. Bharati. B.V