Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Three proactive ways to stop Slut shaming


First  and   foremost  : Let's  send  our  men  to  finishing  schools.
say  things  in  a   humorous  way  but  the  post  has  a  serious  message.
I  started  this  blog  hoping  to  make  fun  of  all  things  related  to  writing  and  writers  but  I  wish  to  write  today  about  slut  shaming. I  saw   a   facebook  post  about  a  girl’s  personal  experience  and  it  annoyed  me. I  wish  the  man  in  the  equation  was  a  fly  and  I  had  a swatter!  My aim  is  good  for  those  who  have  doubts! Well  I  am  a  woman  and  I  am  a  feminist  too  although  not  to  an  extent  that  I  would  stab  any  man  who  even  as  much  raises  his  brow  or  stares  at  my  boobs….but  truly  speaking? I  have  thought  of  stabbing  a  few  men  in  their  groins. What  to  do? They   behave  like  that  sometimes. But  despite   having  a  firm  wrist  and  many  sharp  kitchen  knives  I  have  never   actually  stabbed  any  groin  as  yet. I am  good  at  stabbing  with  sarcasm  but  with  knives? If  I  do  I  will  let  you  know.      

On  a  positive  note  I  think  it  is  time  feminists  should  start  thinking  of  opening  finishing  schools  for  men.  Of  course  they  will  not  go  there  willingly  but  then  most  of  the  children  don’t  go  to  schools  willingly! But   parents  do  use  all  sorts  of  tricks  to  put  them  in  there  and  see  to  it  they  stay  put. Same  to  same.
Let’s  drag  our  men  there….if  it  must  be  by  goading  them  or  tricking  them…..with  a  game  tickets  or  maybe  a  good  movie  or  whatever  your  man  likes…when  I  was  in   my  primary  school  and   made  excuses  you  know what  my mom  used  to  do? She  used  to  dress  me  up  in  my  uniform  and  then  say, “We  are  going  to  the  zoo  to  see  the  tiger.  This  uniform  is  just  so  that  you  don’t  get  lost.”  I  used  to  jump  with  happiness.
And  then  we  would  stand   on  the  road  side  and  wait .
She  would  say, “We  are  waiting  for  your  father. He  is  going  to  come  and  pick  us  up.”
But  as  soon  as  the  school  bus  was  spotted  a  mile  away  she  would  grip  my  wrist  like  a  python  just so  I  couldn’t  run  away.  As  soon  as  the bus  would  stop  and  the  door  would  open  she would  hurl  me  in  like  a  meteor  from  the  hands  of  God   and  shut  the  door  behind  my  back!  
Well,  she  did  this  almost  every  day. Sometimes  I  was  getting  dressed  for  the  cinema,  for  the  ice  cream parlor,  for   my  grandmother’s  home……but   always  ended  up  in  school!
And  then  she  had  this   understanding  with  my  class  teacher, “Once  my  child  gets  into  the  class  lock  the  door  and  teach  her.  Even  if  she  cries, howls,  bites  someone  or  gets  bitten  by  someone….nothing  doing.…just  teach  her.”
It   took  me  a  month  to  understand  that  there  was  no  point  struggling against  the  inevitable   and   how  I  learned!
Let’s  do  the  same  with our  men. But  since  they  are  much  smarter  than  the  little  me  I suggest  we  first  ask  them  politely  and  if  they  don’t  agree  we  ask  the   judges,  the police,  the  parliament….and  if  this  too  fails  we  will  tell  their  employers  to  send  them  to  finishing  schools!  Believe  me  they  will  not  fail  their  bosses  unless  they  have  another  job  in  hand!  And  then  they  don’t  get  a  job  till  they  have  this   finishing  school  certificate!
Home  schooling  is  also  fine  but  let’s  school  them.  It’s  time.
I have  another  idea, it’s  a  little  mean  but  they  too  are   mean to  us   when  they  call  us  sluts  : Just  like  men  call  a  woman  slut  to  debase  her  we  should  declare  ‘to  stab  a  man  in  his  groin’  a   constitutional   equivalent!  Because  calling  them  a stud  makes  them  feel  like  God!
But  since  we  are  a free  world  and  all  of  us  humans  are  born  free,  and  they  are  human  too,  so  they  should  be  allowed  to  chose  from  these   options : 
1. either  go  to  finishing  school  or  get home  schooled.
2. just  like  sex  education  make  it  a  syllabus 'how  to respect  woman' in  regular  schools.
3.or  else  wear   a  groin  guard   into  your  underwear  everyday!
On  a  conciliatory  note : Now  a  day’s  some  of  our  men  have  learned  good  behavior,  some  of  them  have  become  dramatically  good  and  some  have  surfed  to  the  other  side  of  the  spectrum!  So  in  one  hand  I   have  hope  in  mankind  and  in  the   other  a  small  kitchen  knife! 
 .  

2 comments:

  1. Bharati, I strongly agree with you on this post that women should make the effort to make changes seen. In another word, make enforcement to change the way women are seen or treated. I am highly disgusted with the fact that when a girl becomes a victim of a man's lustful act, the society chooses to hide it under the carpet, blaming the girl for what has happened to her. I am utterly ashamed for mothers who raise their son that ugly way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. The most worrisome thing is if look closely into our own homes we will find the difference in the way girls and boys are treated. I strongly believe that if mothers love their daughters as much as their sons they will make a huge change to begin with. Home is the first school and a mother is the greatest teacher and a sense of equality at home will teach our men that a woman are no less than them.

      Delete